We are currently restructuring and redeveloping our online historical databases. Heritage Collection materials that were previously available digitally, including obituaries and historical newspapers are not currently available. We appreciate your patience while we work to ensure these materials are accessible and properly indexed. The physical Heritage Collection remains available at the FCL Farmington Hills location.
Materials in the Collection include:
Directories – City, Telephone and Polk
Various issues of Farmington area city, telephone, and Polk directories are available.
- Acorns to Oaks – Oakland County Genealogical Society
- American Spirit (DAR)
- Detroit Society for Genealogical Research Quarterly
- Your Genealogy Today (formerly Family Chronicle)
- Family Tree Magazine
- Internet Genealogy
- American History
- Civil War Times
- History Today
- Michigan Historical Review
- Michigan History
The Library has the following newspapers either in hard copy or on microfilm in the Heritage Collection at the Farmington Hills location. Newspapers prior to 1969 may not be accessed in hard copy— please use microfilm. Newspapers may not be photocopied, but prints may be made from the microfilm.
- Detroit News: January 1976 to present
- Farmington Observer (formerly Enterprise, Enterprise Observer, Observer, and Observer Eccentric): on microfilm 1910–2011. Scattered issues November 2 , 1888 to 1910.
- Farmington Forum: January 1976 to December 1989 (not on microfilm)
- New York Times Sept. 1851 to present.
- Northwest Gazette: March 8, 1993 to present (not on microfilm)
Photocopies of the FCL collection of more than 2000 photographs may be viewed in the Photo Collection Index. A digital copy can be e-mailed with the submission of the request form found in the Heritage Room in the front of the Photo Collection Index. No more than five requests will be honored at one time.
Surname Indexes and Collections
- Cook Collection
- Photocopied Obituaries
- Heeney-Sundquist Funeral Home Records
- Engagement, Anniversary & Weddings 1940–1959
- People in the News
- Portrait & Biographical Album, Oakland County, MI (1892)
Burgundy binders in Unit 1C contain newspaper clippings concerning aspects of Farmington Township.
Farmington Township high schools, 1923–present (scattered years); some elementary schools; and yearbooks from some area colleges and universities, 1892–1953 (scattered years). Must request yearbooks from the Reference Desk.