The Farmington Community Library is a District Library serving the communities of Farmington and
Farmington Hills with two locations, 12 Mile and Liberty Street. FCL embraces diversity and promotes
inclusion in its hiring and operations. The library actively seeks individuals whose commitments and
contributions will advance our mission to be a diverse and equitable organization. We seek applicants
from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most creative talent on our team and reflect the
community we serve.
Position: Part-Time Custodial Aide - Facilities Department
Hours: Up to 20 hours per week; including nights and weekends
The work of the Custodial Aide, working under the supervision of the Facilities Department Head, is integral to the cleanliness and smooth operation of the library. Custodial Pages help keep the library and its grounds in good order by completing cleaning duties, building upkeep, and general repairs. Tasks to be performed at both library locations as needed. Valid driver’s license required. Selected candidate must be prepared to adjust schedule to accommodate vacations of other department members; days, evenings and weekend shifts when required.
- Meeting room setup.
- Surveying building exterior and grounds, picking up trash.
- Removing snow; salting when necessary.
- Cleaning and disinfecting bathrooms as necessary, refilling paper towels and toilet tissue.
- Vacuuming and wet mopping, as necessary.
- Emptying waste baskets throughout the building, emptying paper shredders.
- Assisting with daily delivery between library locations.
- Cleaning refrigerator and microwave, as necessary.
- Cleaning public service desks, study carrels and tables in public areas.
- Dusting throughout the building, cleaning glass doors.
- Assisting with landscaping and gardening.
- Changing light bulbs.
- Additional tasks assigned by Facilities Department Head and/or Librarian-in-Charge.
Physical Activity Requirements:
- Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force
frequently, and or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Other physical requirements generally associated with the essential functions of the Custodian are shoveling snow and ice salting in hazardous cold weather conditions.
- The ability to lift, push, and or pull up to 20 lbs., and to push carts weighing up to 200 lbs.
- The ability to sit, stand and walk for long periods.
- The ability to bend, reach, crouch, or stoop.
Application, cover letter, and resume accepted until filled.
To: Farmington Community Library
Attn: Crystal Peterson
32737 W. Twelve Mile Road
Farmington Hills, Michigan 48334
Electronically to: Crystal.Peterson@farmlib.org