Farmington Community Library is proud to be a welcoming space for everyone in the Farmington and Farmington Hills community. Both FCL locations serve as public spaces for ideas, create collaboration between neighbors and businesses, and offer services that meet community needs. The library actively seeks individuals whose commitments and contributions will advance our mission to be a diverse and equitable organization. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most creative talent on our team and reflect the community we serve.
Librarian - Adult Department (Full Time - Non-Exempt)
40 hours per week, including days, nights, and weekends on a flexible basis
Reports to the Head of Adult Services and assists the public by answering reference questions, creating innovative programming, and ordering and maintaining collections.
- Provides quick and accurate reference and readers’ advisory services to the public, using both print and electronic resources.
- Provides computer and technology assistance to patrons. Assists patrons in learning to use the Library’s electronic resources, databases, and in-house technology
- Develops programs for adults under the supervision of the Department Head
- Participates in Library, community, and consortium committees
- Creates and maintains displays to promote Library collections, programs, and services
- Participates in collection development in assigned areas with responsibility for selection, weeding and promoting use of the collection
- May receive a secondary assignment to demonstrate employee understanding and proficiency in the Library’s approach to a special collection or service.
- Serves as the Librarian-In-Charge of the building, when assigned. Must be knowledgeable about and able to make decisions in situations dealing with Library security, emergency procedures, and conflict resolution.
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from a school accredited by the American Library Association.
- Professional certification as a Librarian from the Library of Michigan or ability to gain it within 1 year.
- 2 years Librarian experience preferred.
- Application of the basic principles, concepts, and methodology of professional librarianship in performing basic assignments, operations, or procedures.
- Critical thinking skills, as applied to successfully answering reference inquiries.
- Knowledge of literature, current events, and general information found helpful in resolving reference inquiries.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Professional attitude towards providing public library services to patrons.
- Familiarity with current technology, i.e., general computer literacy, knowledge of the Internet, Microsoft Office, and other electronic sources of information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff and supervisors
- Excellent understanding of Library policies, procedures, philosophy, and Public Service Values.
- Ability to lift, push, and/or pull at least twenty pounds
Vacation, sick leave, personal leave, and holidays, defined contribution plan, life insurance
Application, cover letter, and resume accepted through September 29, 2023, at 5 p.m.
To: Farmington Community Library
Attn: Crystal Peterson
32737 W. Twelve Mile Road
Farmington Hills, Michigan 48334
Electronically to: Crystal.Peterson@farmlib.org